Advice to protect your motorcycle or scooter
1. Always use the steering lock and remove the ignition keys, even if you are close by or away for a few minutes. It only takes a few seconds for a thief to jump on so don’t make it easy for them.
2. A common method used by thieves to steal a bike is to break a steering lock and simply wheel the bike away. Using a chain lock through the back wheel will help prevent this (the front wheel can be removed easily so won’t help).
3. Where possible, secure your bike to an immovable object, such as a ground anchor, railings or lamp post, which will also stop thieves from just picking the whole bike up.
4. If these options aren’t available, always try to thread the chain through your bike frame and back wheel. This helps protect parts being stolen and stops thieves from simply using a hammer/ angle grinder to break the lock if it’s left trailing the ground.
5. Using a disc lock also helps to secure the front brake disc to physically stop it from being wheeled away.
6. Thieves often ‘shop’ for particular bike models, so using a bike cover instantly makes it less attractive to them, as they can’t see if it’s the model they are interested in.